Friday, October 4, 2013

Feb 2005 is gone

February is gone


Sunday, March 5, 2006

We’ve got the Black River Lodge clean and now I’ve got to clean the garage by getting in all of the nooks and crannies and picking up trash and shotgun shells. When they drop a shotgun shell they don’t seem to ever pick them up. It is not unusual for met to pick up a couple dozen after the hunters leave.

Then I’ve got yard work and windows to wash. The yard is strewn with branches from the winter’s winds and storms. There are about 3 pecan trees and maybe 18 large oak trees so there is a lot of leaves also that need to be picked up.

Bob & Carol Thomas of Hesperia stopped by on their way to Branson and Oklahoma and it was nice. It was a surprise for Sally and I had a hard time keeping her from finding out but, it all worked out and we had an enjoyable time as we showed them around. All to soon it was for them to leave and for us to pack up our suitcases for a overnight trip to Huntsville, Al.

We’re going down for a interview for a job to see if we (Sally) is capable of doing it. We had the interview and all went well until Sally saw the actual work. She was turned off and I could tell by her actions that it was not to be. The people paid for our fuel one way and our motel for the night and were really nice. It sound like they’ll have another opening coming up which will work more up our alley. It will mean traveling around from city to city but they’ll pay mileage and some of the lot rentals so all is not lost.

Plumbob (one of our local characters) watched over the lodge so it was okay. Plumbob Ringo, we don’t know his real name, was born and raised in the area and his name sure does fit him. I took some pictures of him with some animals so you can see him on the web site which is http://groups.msn.com/WhereWeAre/_whatsnew.msnw

This is our feeble attempt to let people know what and how we’re surviving in our day to day life .

We’ve decided that we should be out of here by April as the mosquitoes are going to be bad. We’ve been told by locals that when the sun sets “get inside”.

The water in the pond has not really warmed up yet so the fish are still half dormant but I’m justa waiting.

Monday, March 6, 2006

After a few days of rain and cold we had a good day today. I fired up the diesel irrigation pump to start putting some more water in the pond. Because of the tunnels and such in the levees there is water leakage so periodically water must be added. We didn’t run it for the last 2 or 3 months but the fish are becoming more active now and we’ll add some water. The pump ran good until it ran out of fuel. I thought there was enough for a couple of days not hours. They’ll deliver fuel tomorrow, maybe, and then I’ll fire it up and get it warm and change the oil in it. I’ve got the clutch linkage all greased up so now it is just the oil change.

Tonight was the first time the fish came up for some food when I through it into the pond. There were some good swells so the bass were feeding also. AS I looked out in the trees in the pond I saw a twp large birds one flew and they were bald eagles. They are fish eaters so they were up there waiting for the fish also. I even had time to get Sally so she could watch them. Soon they flew away but they’ll be back.

This afternoon Sally raked some leaves out of the flowerbeds and then I came down with the super duper leaf blower and blew the leaves into the next county, I hope.

On my rounds today I could see where the water has receded a little more in the back and lots of animal tracks in the mud along the canals. Some of those tracks are made by raccoons, a few birds and lots of otter tracks. I think there is only 2 otter left, maybe only 1. When Bob & Carol were here the other day we saw a small otter. To say they are quick is an understatement. You really have to be looking in the right spot at the right time. Once in awhile you’ll see them on the bank and in Canada once I saw 3 otters sliding down a mud slide. The old Indian guide and I watched them for several minutes until they spotted us in our canoe and went under water.

People ask how can you shoot or trap such a beautiful animal. Down here they have 100’s of thousands of

dollars in these canals and tubes. The otter, along with the beaver, nutria and muskrat can decimate the levees in a short time. Add to that the hundreds and hundreds of turtles and there is lots of action going on down there in the water. I probably shoot 50 turtles a day, not bragging just a fact and I’m sure there is at least 10 that come to each ones funeral.

I think it is amazing that in this country there is such a diverse differences that we can hardly imagine. When we were in Idaho there was a shortage of water overall, it was a dry climate. There was no way you would run around and shoot beaver, muskrat or otter (no nutria in Idaho, yet). Also there was NO MOSQUITOES to speak of because, there was no sitting water. In Texas there was lots of land but no water. Michigan lots of water but land is more or less scarce. Parts of Idaho was actually high desert and other parts had lush green fields, forest and mountains with streams and lakes. Texas from desert to mountains it has it all.

With all of the swamps there are birds of course. Waterfowl of all kinds. There seems to many Cardinals and I see several of the bight red males everyday. Right now we have huge and I mean huge flocks of black birds. Anywhere from 500 to 2000 in flocks. The noisy critters sure take over an area when they come in. A large number of Blue Herons and hawks and owls of every description. They tell me a large number of hummingbirds, nuthatches, robins and others are around also.

The people are as different as the environment. In Idaho they had strong family institutions, fiercely independent, large families and real strong in their church and in Boy Scouts. In Arkansas smaller families strong in their church and not as independent but more down to earth like the farmers that they are. In Texas they are as independent as only Texans can be and yet they are as strong in their church as everybody else. Clothing styles are a little different and maybe the Texans brag a little more.

Thursday, March 9, 2006 NooN

Today it is raining they’re expecting up to 2 inches so things are really going to be a sloppy mess, more than normal. Down here it also means tornado watches and warnings. I haven’t seen any storm cellars in this area because of the high water table, I think you’d have to have a submarine. Right now on TV they just said a thunderstorm is approaching us and it is moving at up to 80 miles per hour, WOW.

Tuesday I fired the diesel up for the well that fills the pond. I was going to let it run for a few minutes and warm up so I could change the oil. I started it and went inside, when I came back it had quit. The first thing I thought of was it is out of fuel but no it had fuel. I restarted it and when I tried to engage the pump it was bound up and almost killed the engine. I shut it off and upon further checking I found out the driveshaft that runs the pump would not turn at all. The pump was bound and I could not turn it even with a cheater pipe. So I called John and he told me who to call and they came out here yesterday afternoon. Now the well is a 10 or 12 inch well so it takes a good size pump and engine. The gear box had jammed and was causing the problem. The well drillers used the crane on their truck to lift the gearbox off of the pump and replaced it with a new one. They said with the price of the gears and the labor of replacing them it was cheaper to install a new gearbox. With in an hour they had the old off and the new on and were going to the next stop. I shudder to think what that gearbox cost but it weighs in the neighbor hood of 200 to 250 pounds, or more. So I’m sure it must be in the $500.00 to $1,000.00 range plus service and installation. Of course running the pump is not inexpensive either. It uses about 1 ½ gallons of fuel per hour or I figure close to 30 gallons per day at $2.00 plus per gallon or $60.00 per day to keep water in the pond for the fish and ducks. In the summer it is run about 3 or 4 days per week.

The buck deer have shed their antlers and now the does are getting ready to drop their antlers. The ducks have paired off in the pond and we see lots of “couples” going off on romantic swims. I take down a little shelled corn to them each day and Aimee & I watch them eat it up. The fish are starting to eat some of the fish food so it won’t be long now before fishing will begin. There are hundreds of thousands of minnows swimming around in the pond and the natives say they’ve never seen anything like it. The Bass and the Crappie should love them and just think how much they should grow. One of the well drillers was telling me how they put trot lines in the river and catch flathead catfish. He says they’re twice as good as channel cats but, we’ll have to wait until he brings us one to find out because channel cats are fine eating.

5:30 PM another severe thunderstorm warning just came over the TV and our emergency weather radio gave out the alarm also. Because of where we are we bought the radio last week when we went to Huntsville, AL. Been looking for one all over around here and nobody had one. Today is the first storm for our radio and it does work. Now when they have a thunderstorm down here they really have one. They said it was moving at 50 MPH with winds at about the same. When it came through here I don’t think it slowed down to 50 mph at all. At the same time it was here the emergency radio was screaming about a tornado alert along the front of the storm. We did have hail as forecast and probably another ½ in of rain in the short time the storm lasted. The fierce wind rocked out trailer to & fro and did knock out our power so we’re running on battery right now and listening to the FM radio. As I write this, using its own battery, the sun is trying to come back out but it is almost 6 PM so it’ll be setting pretty sudden.

One limb came down and hit the trailer but, I don’t think it did any damage, I’ll look in the morning.

Fe

No comments: