Tuesday, September 24, 2013

 Yesterday was another great day here in OCEANA land County, MI. Gee it was cooool. Low 60's when Lighthouse and I fired up our scoots to go for a ride.  I wanted to check out the roads for the upcoming COLOR TOUR this coming Saturday morning for scooters and motorcycles.
 I want to make sure that the county road comission hasn't added to many more pot-holes in the roads. Also they have a detour on a section of road we were going to use, but the alternate route is more scenic.
 First we stopped at the dam downtown to see how the salmon were doing. In their spawning cycle they try their darndest to swim up the racing water to complete the cycle of life for them. A few were trying but not very many and I was unable to get a picture as they were very quick. As the season progresses I'll get some pictures of them, I'm sure. A few minutes there and we were off like a herd of fast turtles. At one of the T-intersections where you have to stick your nose out to see if there is any oncoming traffic a doe and her fawn were there just watching us. Of course in the 10 seconds or so  I didn't have a chance for a picture. The leaves are in the first stages of changing to their gorgeous colors. The Sassafrass is already in the bright gold colored leaves with a scattering of red Sumac, enhance the beauty of fall.
 As we turned in a westerly direction there was something in the road. As we got closer I could see it was a holstein heiffer.
 Of course I couldn't just leave her out there to cause a accident or whatever. So I demonstrated to Lighthouse how to herd a cow. She was a little beligerant but soon she was moving on back to where she belonged. BUT with a beep of the horn, a threatening move and a high yo silver off into the farmers yard she went.
 When that was over I got to thinking about in Idaho and all of the herding I did with wayward cattle BUT with a quadrunner. In fact that reminds me of a story.
 One of my grandsons (Scott) then 13 yrs old and I were on quadrunners and were going to return some errant cattle back on their side of the fence. Now those range cattle aren't
really friendly but they were not mean either, if you know what I mean? Most of the cattle we moved quite easily and went through the gate EXCEPT ONE. Every herd has a leader and I'm sure she was the cantankerous one. She did have a good size calf with her. Now, where we were in that semi-arid land there was a lot of sagebrush. Good healthy sage brush maybe 3 or 4 foot high and ten foot across. She was on one side of the sagebrush and I on the other. I told Scott to block the trail and help move her towards the gate. As I sat there on the bosses BRAND NEW  600 cc, shift on the fly, four wheel drive, 4 wheeler I was thinking how am I going to get that critter going. No sense playing ring around the rosie with her, I'll just hit the sage brush. Well I goosed the machine and it literally went up, into and over the sage brush and came real close to the cow. Scott was able to then push her towards the gate. Any way I was laughing and I asked Scott did you see the eyes on that cow they were as big as a pie. He said laughing no, but your eye were bigger than that when you came over the sagebrush. I still laugh about that incident and I'm sure Scott might remember it.

 No way would I take "Lil Dahlin" a highway type scooter off into the fields. I'm getting to old for that kind of excitement anymore.
 Getting back to the original story we continued on just a looking and enjoying the crisp clean air when up on a rise in the road were 3 hen turkeys with their broods. Maybe 25 to 30 in all. Of course they went slowly off the road and we continued on. As we re-enterd the truck farming area we could see that the Christmas Trees are looking great. Of course the asparagus is all done.

 


The apple trees are really loaded down this year and fields full of squash and pumpkins add to the beautiful clolors. I showed Lighthouse the memorial to Chief Cob-Moosa which he has driven by numerous time but never seen.
 
 The large rock with the engraved metal plaque used to be at almost road level. But several years ago they cut down some hills and filled in some low spots and the plaque is now 8 to 10 feet above road level and hard to get to. Somehow we've go to get a picture of it.
 The rest of the trip was anti-climatic but very enjoyable.
 The comraderie of friendship is something that cannot be beat, especially in this great fall weather.

2 comments:

Kitt said...

Another great story, Dad. Love to read your writings. Kitt.

Anonymous said...

Another great story. I love to read your writings. Kitt