Monday, January 30, 2012

Where did the time go??????

 I can't believe that I haven't been here for more than a month. It's almost Valentine's Day. 
 Nov 23rd I had shoulder rotator cuff surgery. The major kind where they put a pillow thing under you arm and it keeps you elbow up at 90 degrees and it was 24/7 for 4 weeks. I got tired of sponge baths, no shirt, NOT able to wear a jacket and all that goes with it.
 Now at the end of January I'm getting a lot of my movement back but I'm not to lift anything too heavy, so they say.
 With the pillow off I could socialize a little and it sure helped to break up the day.
 Penny (lady friend) and Kitt helped me tremendously through all of the above. They took some of my old ragged flannel shirts cut the right sleeve lengthwise and a slit up the right side so that it could be draped over my shoulder. Also Velcro was used extensively trying to keep every thing in place. They made me a jacket, of sorts, with the pillow and my elbow out I measured 71 inches around at the shoulders. I bought the biggest sweat pant and shirt I could get 5xxx (online). They split it down the back and with a lot of labor and the use of Velcro I could drape it over my right shoulder. Then pulled it up tight around the waist using Velcro and the belt off of my robe, I could go out in mild weather.
 Dec 22nd I got to get the pillow removed. I was all smile as the Dr. cut the straps. When I got home I took a looonnnnnng shower, 4 weeks worth. I could put on a button up shirt and wear real pants again, I still hate sweat pants. 
 Thankfully we haven't had a lot of snow this year, maybe 2 feet. I couldn't shovel it any ways but, I could push it. Some kid does the driveway so that helps an awful lot.
 Actually you know, I've been to busy feeling sorry for myself instead of writing. Hang on I'm back.
Darrell

No comments: