Thursday, September 22, 2011

Aimee (continued)

Above the post is a picture of Sally and our little Bichon (Aimee) on South Padre Island a few years ago. I want you to see the expression on the dogs face as she was running up and down on the beach, which she loved.
 The following is my story of how she came about and our lives together. 
 I was driving truck across country and having a very hard time of staying awake. I'd drive for 2 or 3 hours and then have to take a nap and the naps got to be 4 hours long. I felt good and not taking any medicines. So I got to thinking that I needed a dog (cheaper than a woman) to ride along with me and make me get out of the truck and etc.
 When I was telling Sally she looked at me incredulously as we had 1 doberman at home now. I said I cannot take her. Even with her short hair she sheds way to much and she smells to much like a hound, to ride along in a truck for 10 to 15 hours at a time. AND you don't exercise he she runs. I'd been checking out different breeds and told her I thought I'd like a Bichon Frise.  I had to find a picture of one and she said WHY???.  They are non shedding, hypoallergenic and relatively smart. She said how much? I said a lot. 
 Soon we found a family over in Whitehall that had a litter and we took a quick look. They were all little snowballs and as puppies go very cute.  8 weeks old  
This picture is of Aimee at about 10 or 11 weeks of age

  Needless to say I fell in love with a little female that was friendly but she would go off and explore while we were looking at the litter. She could fit in the palm of my hand. She and I did a lot of miles together in the truck. She was a joy and ever only had one accident and that was my fault for not stopping.
 Our first trip was from Hart, MI. to Denver, CO. then to Louisville, KY , Indianapolis, IN to Hart, MI. I laughed as I told people that I didn't know there were that many rest areas as we were traveling. Also I'm sure she saved me a ticket in Colo at the scales. They told me to pull over bring in my paperwork an etc. So I did and the scalemaster was going through the items he wanted to look at my log book. I said well its in the truck I'll go get it and asked if it was ok to let my pup out and he said yeah he guessed so. So I went out knowing when I went back in I was going to get a ticket for a log book violation. While walking the dog he came out to me because he couldn't see the dog from inside. He picked her up and ooo'd and awd and gave her back to me and said music to my ears, "Catch up on your log book before you leave here and stop by again.
  She was a joy to ride with and of course like any baby she slept while the truck was moving. BUT when I parked it and set the air parking brakes she was ready to go outside and do something. But she didn't stop my sleeping problem and now all of a sudden I was not able to understand anybody on the phone. I called home and asked for a dr's appointment as I was starting to get very dizzy with also. Meniere's Syndome was the diagnosis in my left ear and there is no cure. They give you Valium and say "good luck" then the worse happened I got it also in the other ear and the doc say congratulations you now have it bi-lateral.  I was sick puppy  myself for about 6 weeks. I sat at home in a straight back chair and holding on to the seat as I felt I was going to fall off. The only way I could walk was if I had the wall to touch or else crawl on my hands and knees. The attacks can be anywhere from minutes to years apart and I bet they can last just as long also. Veritgo that brings on nausea, dry heaves, headaches, coldsweats. I would fall into fitful sleep for 8 or 10 hours at a time and wake up reavenously hungry.  Along with all of that I lost about 80% of my hearing. I did try to do some more driving but I could not use the Valium as I thought I was dumb enough already and it is one of the no-no drugs anyway. I did have the valium with me but I never used it while in the truck but Aimee did. Some how she got in and ate about a half dozen of the pills and I was horrified. I called Sally and she called the vet and called me back and said the Valium would not hurt the dog but she could sleep quite awhile, boy, I was relieved and she did sleep for quite awhile but I don't remember how long.
 My last trip driving I was coming north on US 31 when the Meniere's caught me as I was going around Indianapolis. If I could look through one eye only I could drive but at a reduced rate of speed. I made a lot of enemies that afternoon as I drove about 45 mph. It was speed I felt safe at and I thought to hell wth the  the world. I made it back into Michigan after a couple of naps and called dispatch just before they closed for the night. I told them where I was, I thought I was ok but that when I unloaded I would be done driving. I know I was in tears as I talked to the boss. I didn't want the rest of my life to be like it had been for the last couple of months.
 I made it back to Hesperia about midnight. I should've been in about 8:30 or 9 PM. I emptied everything out of my assigned truck and left for home. 

"Aimee" with her friend "Honey" in Idaho

To be continued

No comments: