Sunday, August 22, 2010

Life goes on


On August 21, 2010 my wife, Sally, passed away as the result of a fast moving cancer. There was no pain and she was surrounded by her children and grandchildren.



  Do I miss my wife? Of course I do, I never realized how much I depended on her until after she is gone. During her last few weeks on earth she and I had some long talks, a few laughs and a lot of tears. The two of us made her memorial plans as well as we could and prayed together, a lot.
 She wanted to talk to so many people but was just to weak and that made her hard to understand. We reminisced about our 10 years of travels as full time RVer's, who we had met and old friends and relatives that we'd gotten to see, one last time. Many of them had already passed on and she was anxious to see them again as well as her son Greg and her folks. She was a people person, through and through, always had been and was that way up until her death!
 The last few days, when she wouldn't or couldn't eat were tough on me as I knew the end was near and there was nothing I could do to change it.
 One of the most beautiful things I heard in the hospital was, as I walked into her room, our Grandaughter Erin was leaning over her grandma and singing a song as only she could sing it. I'm sure grandma heard it.  Our children and friends rallied around and it made all the difference in the world.
 Her memorial was GREAT and UPLIFTING just the way she wanted it to be.
 One her songs at the memorial was Lynda Randle singing
"God on the Mountain" 
Life is easy when you're up on the mountain
And you've got a piece of mind like you've never known
But things change when you're down in the valley
Don't lose faith for you're never alone

 The first time we heard that song was in Louisville at the Quartet Convention and it was one of our mainstays ever since.
  To listen to the song,  click here
 I hope it pleases you as it does/did us.
  All of the family takes it one day at a time as we laugh about such and such an experience in the years gone by.
Darrell