Monday, November 16, 2009

Adventure 3.6 Oct 2002l

Tuesday, October 1, 2002 Low Temp was 28 High 67 & cloudy
First I’ve got to correct some mistakes I made in the last letter. Matt and his family did go on their annual elk-hunting trip; they got, I believe, 5 elk. Their hunting camp was twelve miles up on the mountain and they rode in on horses, which his dad has. After 5 days of hunting it was time to come on down the mountain. They COULD NOT ride the horses as they were all carrying the elk. So the men walked out through knee-deep snow and also they had to cross one river 10 times. The part about hanging onto the horses tails is true but that was just to help get through the snow. I hope that straightens out where I thought he fell off the horse in mid-stream.
Today is the first day of Sharp Tail Grouse season; I went, I saw, I missed. The birds flushed way beyond shotgun range and took off like ducks and with the wind. As we were out there it started snowing, nice white snow the kind that cools the ground and then quits melting and starts to become ground cover. Now it is 11:00 AM and the ground is white, probably a ½ inch of the wonderful white stuff. Sally fixed some blueberry pancakes as Trent was coming back in the yard. He said he was going sideways with the Rodweeder as much as he was going straight so he was going home. He did stay and have a couple of pancakes then he took our mail in to Idaho Falls for us. Also he was worried because his wife, Laurie, was driving up to Bozeman, Montana for a grizzly bear meeting and it was really snowing. Laurie is an animal biologist for the Idaho Fish & Game Dept.
Sally has a cheery fire going in the wood stove and it is quite comfy in here. A few hunters can be seen around here but the visibility is quite low and they‘re trying to get their butts out of Tex Creek. Other than being wet the weather is quite nice outside at 34 degrees. I suppose our roads are almost impossible about now with the moisture and now the snow on top. I’m going to try and make some rounds today if the snow lets up. I’ve got trespassing cattle up on Meadowcreek and I’m still trying to ascertain ownership.
Yesterday Craig showed me some ATV ramps that fit in the back of a pickup. Now I’m able to carry an ATV with me while making the rounds. In this weather it is rather uncomfortable riding one several miles just to check for cattle. This way I can get to the scene and unload the ATV, do the checking and load it back up to go with the rounds. At the elevation that we are at sudden downpours and snow showers are not uncommon.
This weather should also help bring the elk and deer down from the higher elevations and make the elk & deer hunters happy when the season starts in this area next week, I believe.
About 2 PM Matt showed up and said the roads aren’t bad. He and I went out to two of the WMA Kiosks and put in poles for the metal public vehicle stay on designated roads, signs. We have to put them on a post by themselves because they’re used for target practice a lot. On the way back we saw a coyote, and a whole bunch of Sharp Tail Grouse. I can tell you right now his definition of bad roads and mine are completely different, about 40 years different. Being with him today is how I got the story correct on his elk hunt.
Thursday, October 3, 2002 Temp 24 degrees low and 56.7 for a high. CLOUDY
I went out to Meadowcreek and see how the hunters were doing and see if I could find a herd of trespassing cows. The cows were waiting for me right where I was hoping they would.


I still don’t know whom they belong to so I’ll have to call the brand inspector again tomorrow. After I watched them for about 10 minutes through my binoculars, after all they were 50 ft away from me, I continued up towards the falling snow.
It’s been spitting snow ever since about 10 o clock this morning, just enough to make the clay on the roads really slippery. Temp has been about 50 to 55 today so the snow melts when it hit’s the ground. At about 7500 ft. elevation the snow is sticking and it looks nice from a distance.
In the morning I meet a Mr. Ferguson who owns the calf with a bad leg. I don’t know how he’s going to get the critter but he said no problem. He doesn’t know that it is almost ¾ of a mile off the road. It sounds like I better get my spurs sharpened up and my boots polished. I did talk to one of the moose hunters today a fellow from Utah. He said he saw 7 bulls this morning but nothing close to a record. He is a trophy hunter, he paid $1500.00 for his moose license, and I guess if he wants to take just a trophy that is what he’ll do.
Saturday, October 5th, 2002
Saturday morning Mike Ferguson, son Jason and cowboy Fred Wadley (75 yrs old), from the Deep Creek Ranch, showed up to get the injured calf back in Carlisle Creek just off Indian Fork. I guided them back there and they unloaded their 2 horses also I gave them a pair of fence pliers just in case they needed to cut a fence to retrieve their calf. I hung around for a couple of hours listening to them talk on their walkie-talkies. I had a lot to do so I excused myself and said I had to go to work. Mike said they’d leave the pliers at such & such a post and I said okay. It took his son and a cowboy 3 hours to find it but they did and it had a broken leg and is mending at home now.







I left them and went up towards Meadow Creek. Now you have to know that we’d had 3 days of snow mixed with rain and it was just starting to dry out good enough to get around. My truck looked like I’d been in a mud derby of some type. These kids nowadays think they know how to get their trucks muddy. They should bring them out here and try doing our work and not only that but, this
mud you almost have to wear off once it dries. Anyway I did have the ATV in the back of the truck, to muddy to pull a trailer where I had to go, and was keeping an eye out for trespassing cattle, lost hunters and mud. I finally got up to our cattle guard, where the signs had been errantly put earlier, and noticed a lot of people milling around. A gentleman with his son & daughter were loading their horses and I proceeded to talk with them. It seems the road going up any farther was so slippery with mud & snow that all of the big time hunters couldn’t make it with the pickups. All of these other guys were good-naturedly trying to buy the horses with an impromptu auction. It was all in good fun and everybody was laughing even if the hunting was terrible. Talking to the horse people I learned that my gates up at the top were definitely closed and I wouldn’t have to take the ATV up there. I thanked them all including God and went back down the hill and over towards Cove Creek.
I was flagged down buy a gentleman who told me that a gate was padlocked up Indian Fork. Already It had been a busy day and it was hardly noon. I didn’t know that this next action would last until after 9:30 PM Saturday night.
Sure enough the gate was padlocked, but again it’s private property and the owner can do that. I made the trip the long way around and finally got to the cabin of Mr. & Mrs. Stucki, both were there with half of their family, probably 20 or so. A lot of grandkids and of course a little commotion. Mr. Stucki (Gaylen) and I went outside and sat down by the campfire he had going and began our palavering (You didn’t think I knew that word, did you?). In all we talked 2 or 3 hours and when I left the gates were still locked but I had permission and me only, to drive through on my rounds like I’ve been doing. So I left there and started the long drive back up through Cove Creek and headquarters. About 6 PM I talked to Terry who was out doing some of his conservation patrol somewhere in the state. I told him the scoop, most of it, and we decided that we’d have to put up a sign on Cove Creek near the hay shed telling people that the road was closed 6 miles ahead at the private property boundary.
Our signs here are wood and a router is used to form the letters. I rounded up a 2X6 about 6 ft long and started in by making block letters and then carving out the letters with a router. WHAT A JOB!! It took me almost 3 hours to make a sign and in the process I burned up the router bit. For a sign that said
ROAD CLOSED!!
6 MI AHEAD
PRIVATE PROPERTY
The boards are then painted brown on both sides allowed to dry and then the letters are painted white with a small brush. All of this takes time. The brown paint Sally put on that night at about 10 PM and then in the morning she painted all of the letters with white paint. By 10:30 AM with her help we had the sign installed on a brand new painted pole, so that people should be able to see and know that they would know longer be able to drive through.
Then I asked Sally if she’d like to meet the Stucki’s, of course she said yes so back up over Elk Ridge, Ryset Mountain around Dave’s Mountain to the Stucki’s we went. A little fellow about 3 who informed me it was breakfast time met me on the porch. Sally came in and she and Mrs. Stucki (Sue) hit it off immediately. I told Gaylen about the sign that we’d put up at the hay shed and that he might as well padlock his last gate also. They did invite us for breakfast but I politely refused, several times and said we’d have to take a rain check on it. Sally at long last got to meet Gaylen with his long mustache that droops into long natural curls and helps to keep the cowboy essence intact. As we were leaving Sally said “they’re good people”. Sounded like an echo that I’d heard a week earlier.
All in all it was quite a week and I felt like I’d earned my title of volunteer, this week.
Monday, October 7th, 2002 Low 28 High 69 Sunny
A great day with wonderful weather a day when you try to accomplish a lot and you’re busy but you just don’t get too much done, if you know what I mean. I’ve been trying to get 3 steel entrance doors on different buildings painted this last week. First it was to cold, then we had snow & rain and believe it or not today it was to hot. The rusty door I was working on faces the east and needed to be sanded and also it had a decal advertising the company that put up the building heaven knows when. Now mind you this is a mile away from headquarters. I loaded up the pickup with paint, thinner, rags, sandpaper, and empty containers, the new $25.00 brush and went over to the building. I sanded the rust off quite easily but was having trouble with the decal so I had to go back and get a scraper, that didn’t work either. Terry showed up and suggested a single edge razor blade. So I went back and got razor blades and they did a real good job. Then I sanded the remaining decal off and mixed up the paint, I took 1 stroke and said #@^&*()! The door being in the direct sunlight was way to hot to paint. So I cleaned the $25.00 brush and the rest of the equipment and thought I’ll get it this afternoon. That didn’t work either because it went right down to about 50 degrees and was too cold to paint. So I washed trucks and cleaned up the shop and got some 4 X 4’s for Sally to paint our delicious brown color and was able to quit about 5:30.
I don’t think that’s to bad for a day off, do you?
Tuesday, October 8, 2002 Low 24 High 72 Sunny

This morning I’m stumbling around, took a shower and looked out the window and Trent has got binoculars to his eyes and looking to the west. After I got dressed I went up and asked what he was watching and he said at least 2 coyotes. They were 6 to 700 yards
away and even with the glasses there hard to see at times. I was really getting into it when 2 vans pull into the yard with a work crew
of about 20 county prisoners that came out to pick weed seed today. Trent took the crews and I went and got that door painted before it got to hot again. It was just right.
Then I came back and loaded up the 5 posts that Sally had painted and went out to install them at various places on the WMA. We have to set our metal vehicles signs on a single post all by themselves because they get shot all to smithereens. I went up to the top of Meadowcreek and checked the gates, they were both closed for once then came down to the cattle guard and installed a sign and then went on down the hill and did the same at the other one. Then I went over to our Information Booth and moved the Map & Information box that Jim & I had installed. Terry said it must be under the roof so now it is under the roof. During all of this I talked and surveyed several hunters and answered question to a couple more. At 1 PM I came in for a sandwich and told Sally I was going to Idaho Falls for e-mail and 3 padlocks. It was 5:05 when I got back so I changed my shirt; I put on a heavy flannel, and headed for Cove Creek and the Stucki Ranch. That gets to be a long 9-mile drive sometimes. I got to Stucki’s gate and it was not locked but I soon found out why. His bull was on the WMA side and looking like he was lonesome. I opened the gate and went to the cabin leaving the gate open (hoping the bull would come inside). I left the padlocks on the table where Gaylen had told me to leave them and left. Back to the gate El Toro was still looking wistfully at his harem on the other side but he wouldn’t go through the gate. I was going to stick a 5 ft plastic sign about 4 in. wide (Carsonite) in the middle of the road at Stucki’s gate. I got out and was getting ready to work when El Toro started bellering. I told him to shut up and that I could still remember those days when I felt the same way. I moved the truck about 50 yards past him and waited for him to go through the gate. He went the other way and I was pissed. I fired up the truck and told him to get going. It was quite a circus for a few minutes and then he walked through the gate and dumped a load right on my sign that I’d dropped. I wasn’t even mad about that I’ve had that stuff dumped on me through life before. But I did hurry and shut the gate and headed out to Indianfork and found 10 of Stucki’s cattle in our alfalfa. If I’d had a gun I’m sure there would have been a lot of coyote and bear bait right where they stood. I drove out in the field and herded them back towards their home. Tomorrow I’m going to have to do something short of killing them.
Wednesday, October 9, 2002 low 30.1 high 64 and SUNNY & VERY NICE
This morning first thing I went up Indianfork to find any errant cattle. I did see one small Bull Moose on the way and coming back a man was getting ready to field dress his trophy. The man, Lannie Denton, was very happy because this was the last day that he was going to be able to hunt. He had a lot of good eating in that animal. I hurried back and got Sally so she could observe one up very close. She said she did enjoy seeing it close up.
Today I got the last of the “motor vehicles on designated routes only” signs up. I bet I’ve got 15 man-hours into installing the seven signs plus a lot of miles. I tried to work it out so that I could install them while on patrol but that doesn’t always work out. My shoulder is really quite sore and I’m going to have to do something about it.
I couldn’t find the cattle that were in the alfalfa the night before.
Thursday, October 10, 2002 Low 33.4 High 69.8 Sunny & pleasant
A great day to finish up the mowing should be the last for the year. I think I’ve said that before. The generator for the water pump seemed to be running a lot while I was mowing so I stopped and took a look. The floor of the shed was covered in motor oil about 1/8th of an inch thick. The oil pressure gauge still showed good pressure but I shut it off to see if I could ascertain the problem. On closer inspection it showed the oil filter somehow had loosened up. I could see no defect in the filter or it’s gasket. I changed the oil & filter. I was able to only drain out about a small coffee cup of oil. The only thing that saved the 4-cylinder engine is the additive that Terry had me add last time. It is called “tough oil” and is a lot like Slick 50 & some of the others on the market that contain Teflon. The crankcase on that particular generator holds 4 ½ quarts of oil plus the filter and I was able to drain about 4 oz of oil when I drained it. The reason it was running I found out was a toilet tank flapper was held open. It had been open about 15 hours as far as I could figure out. I thank the Lord that I noticed it and that there was no damage. A little bit of mineral spirits on the spill and a healthy rinse with the hose got rid of the oil on the floor. It did take a long time to dry it but I closed the door about 3 PM today, Friday.
Friday, October 11, 2002 Low 32.1 High 64.3 Cloudy & Windy & Raw
The first thing this morning I checked the water pump generator and saw all was well (no pun intended). Then went up to Harris Bench and filled the Info & Map box there and also the one on Trail Creek. Matt has the prison crew down by Porcupine Creek and they’re picking, wild licorice, hounds tongue, burdock seed and stalks and putting them in large plastic bags so they can be burned later. I’m told that is the only practical way to kill the seed. Craig is over at Cloward’s Crossing “rod weeding” a field so that it can be planted to alfalfa next spring. Craig showed up with the tractor and I took him back to Cloward’s to get his truck. At the same time I can do my Kepps


and Cloward’s patrol. When I leave there I head over towards Bulls Fork and fill that Info Box also. Then onto “dead cow hill” to scope the south fields of the WMA for cattle. I can’t find any cattle at all. Usually I see maybe a 100 head of Croft’s and maybe a half dozen trespassing on WMA, I see absolutely none today, and I don’t even see Stucki’s! It is as if they vanished, nary a sign. No
fresh cow pies or tracks, all of his internal field gates are open. He had something like 4 or 500 head and usually I see some of them.
On the way back towards headquarters I meet Jess Croft and I ask him where are your cattle? He said “I took’em home“! Then he
said every other year he’s waited until the last minute and fought bad roads and weather. This year he started early and said it is really working out good. He separated the calves at home and could give them their shots at the same time. He also said it helped on the home life not being so rushed, working only 14-hour days instead of 18 and 20-hour days. He shook my hand and said he hoped he’d see me next year. He didn’t want to break in another guy. We laughed and parted company.
Saturday, October 12, 2002 Low 12.4 High 53.5 Sunny & bright.
Another day another patrol. Surveyed a few hunters and started a Bronco for a guy. After that I came back and flushed out the dirt out of the fuel spill containment area. The drain has filled up with dirt through the summer so I had to get down and dirty to flush it out.
Saw one little spike horn “muley” today that a 12 yr old shot with his youth permit. Really a great thing for the kids. I’ve seen a lot of kids, boys & girls out here looking for deer with their dads and grandfathers.
Sunday, October 13, 2002 Low 16 High 65 Clear & Sunny
Today I saw 3 deer that were harvested by youth, a button buck shot by a 13 yr old girl, 4 point (eastern count) by a girl of about 15 and a doe shot by a 12 yr old boy.
They were all excited and a dad was with each one of them and even a grandfather was on the scene of one of the girls. Idaho Fish & Game is completely different than any other state where I’ve hunted or entertained the thought. Unlike The Mich. Dept of Conservation or as it is now called (politically correct) Dept. of Natural Resources. Its’ budget is doled out by the legislature unlike Idaho that, as I understand it, is run all on license monies. And it must be true as Idaho has some of the highest no-residence license fees I’ve run across. Of course they’ve both got the same problems with political appointees that seem to only want to make a name for themselves. You all should be proud of me, as I’ve not written any letters to the editor or even any senators or the like. I was thinking about residency but the financial problems coming to light has turned me away.
I did the Quarter Circle O (named after the ranch from whom the land was purchased) patrol today along with Meadowcreek, Indianfork & Bulls Fork. On the Bulls Fork we have to information kiosks with literature boxes and a lot of traffic as the elk season opens Tuesday so hunters are traveling to & fro.
As big as the opener of deer season in Michigan I believe the elk opener is even greater here in Idaho. If only in preparations with 4X4’s, ATV’s, horses & mules and husky hunting partners to help pack out the game.
Monday, October 14, 2002 Low 22 High 59.2
The day before the opening of elk season and things are really quite quiet. Winter is surely upon us. The Quaking Aspen have for the most part lost their gold leaves. The same with the serviceberry choke cherry and bitter berry bushes. It seems as if their stark nakedness and loss of color has happened overnight. Now you can look up through the trees without the leaves hiding anything. The majestic moose is now a slobbering lovesick monster and is willing to challenge anything in its way. Though the elk haven’t come down out of the high country their bugle & whistling is in the air.
Today I saw some Ruffed Grouse and I believe they were drunk, probably from eating some fermented berries off some bush. They were actually staggering and I don’t think they could have flown if they had wanted to. I did get one from another flock as it flew into the side of the truck. I don’t know if it was sober or not. I am waiting for a blood test from the hospital.
Stucki’s cattle are still on the WMA and again tonight they were in the alfalfa up on Indianfork. I called Gaylen and implored for him to come on over with a trailer and take them off of our land. He said he was working up near Dubois but he would try and get over here tomorrow afternoon, we’ll see.
Also I’ve noticed that the Aspen is now almost totally naked and their beautiful foliage is on the ground beginning another cycle. Seeing those trees devoid of leaves is about like being in a nudist colony. The beauty is gone and all secrets are out, just as clothes makes the person so goes the leaves for a tree.
Tuesday, October 15, 2002 Low 20.3 High 64 Clear & Sunny
The good news is that Aimee (dawg) doesn’t have to have surgery. Somehow or another she is eating or swallowing stones. The vet just shook his head in wonderment. We’ve been having to giver her Vaseline for a lubricant to help pass the stones. She has acquired a taste for the stuff and now considers it a treat. The dog has complete trust in me and if I tell her something is good she at least tries it. I think Vaseline is above the call of duty.
This afternoon Gaylen Stucki and his boy showed up and took their 12 errant cattle home. It was amazing, as soon as he showed up on his horse and whistled the cows lined up in single file and started their 3-mile walk home. Also he told me that somebody had destroyed his iron gate and one of my padlocks. I don’t know what the man is going to do but I wouldn’t want to get caught by him


doing any damage to his property.
Wednesday, October 16, 2002 Low 23.6 High 63.2 Clear & Sunny
Another beautiful day. As far as I can tell nobody showed up for work today. I hadn’t checked Meadowcreek for the last couple days. So I thought I would today. Driving casually (slow like a tourist) everything was fine until I come upon The Trailcreek Pond. It is almost completely dry now and I like to look at the moose and elk tracks as they walk across it. Today there was a buck deer 7-point eastern count, lying dead out in the middle of the mud & soup. The ravens were already picking at him and I could see where the coyotes had been enjoying themselves. After I stopped and made certain he was deceased I went onto Meadowcreek and was pleasantly surprised to see 9 cows in campsites 1 & 2. So I hurried in and started closing gates. Some cowboys that were moose hunting, thank you, fixed the fences about 3 weeks ago. What a joy to see 9 head of cattle all in a 2 or 3 acre pasture some of the cattle belonged to Painted Porch, some to SG or the Stucki’s and 1 bull belonging to Leon Dance. I got a hold of Gaylen on his cell phone and told him the scoop. He said he’d bring his trailer and be there about 5 PM. try & hold them there & etc.
So I headed for home and met Craig and Trent in the yard with smiles a yard wide and both talking at once. Trent had called a bull elk in and Craig had shot it, his first ever. Now they wanted to borrow our pickup to haul the meat out. I don’t want to say they were overly excited but Craig had the head and horns and it was a nice and tender 2X2 (4 point eastern count). The rest was down a mountainside and they’d have to pack it out. Also Trent wanted to check out the deer in the mud and I said okay I’d get that out with an ATV and some rope. That part went pretty good as Walt showed up with a Painted Porch ATV and after I missed with the lasso 6 times he wanted to try. His 6th throw he got it over both antlers and he pulled it out with the ATV. I know the deer wasn’t there at 3 PM yesterday as I had walked down to the pond and checked out the moose & deer tracks. Probably the meat was good but upon closer examination I could see where the deer had been shot. Quite likely shot right where he now lay. Whoever shot him, illegally, didn’t have the gumption or didn’t want to get muddy getting him.
About 2:30 I told Sally I’m hungry if we don’t eat now we can save it for dinner. She’d made a spaghetti casserole, coleslaw and Texas sheet cake. She said what about Trent & Craig, I said they’re out of luck. But then they pulled in and after they’d washed they sat down and devoured the food. In fact Trent said, “I can’t get enough food I’m starved“. We all had a good laugh as we made fun of him and his work habits. They’d packed the elk out about ¾ quarters of a mile and it had taken them each 2 trips with heavy loads. Also they’d called Terry and told him they were not working and why. I guess he understood. The only one missing out on today’s excitement was Matt. He was home studying for a mid term exam that will be 50% of his grade.
About 4:30 Sally & I went up to the campsite and now there was 14 head of cattle. I told her I’ve got to go back and get an ATV. So while I was gone to get the ATV, Gaylen and his son showed up and set their trailer up and using some panels (a lot like gates) they’d made a small corral. Of the 14 head 11 were his. We got 12 into the corral and 4 were not his and we turned loose and the other 2 had headed for the hills in high gear. So we both think there are at least 3 head out in the hills that are his but at least 1 cow will come into the area again because he has her calf and they‘ll hang around where they last saw their calf. So tomorrow I’ll put some hay up there and check and see if I can capture her and the others. I’ll have to call the owner of the bull and ask him to pick it up, or at least ask him to try. As I was talking to Gaylen his son said look up on that hill and there were 3 Bull Moose, 2 med size and 1 in the large size category.
I’ve tried to remain friends with Walt & Sue but they’ve got to do something with the Painted Porch Cattle. They seem to have a whole lot of fence jumpers and they’re really a pain to try and keep in. Tonight they have cows out on the west & east side of their ranch and he said he’d get them tomorrow.
Thursday, October 17, 2002 Low 21.8 High 61.2 sunny with a light northerly breeze.
Another great day in Idaho just a plugging away at caretaker jobs like tightening up the bolts and nuts on all of the signs spread out on the different roads. The wood shrinks and then the contraction and expansion help to loosen them all up. No cows today, no moose today, no coyotes today, no deer today just friendly hunters and a lot of agreeable conversation with people from of all walks of life and from all over the US. At one of the campsites the sign that says campsite #2 was laying on the ground. Evidently the 4X4 post was broken by one of the cows as it scratched against it. No big deal, I just have to take the auger up there and make a hole for the post. I tried using the posthole digger today and all I found was rock.
Tonight as I went down to close the gate I noticed that it is very cloudy so it will be warmer tonight, I betcha.
Saturday, October 19, 2002 Low 19.8 High 62.8 Not a cloud in the sky. Very good hunting weather.
Quite a few hunters around and I’m surprised at the number of hunters looking for deer here on the WMA. The general season closed here the 14th . The rest of the state is open just this area is closed.
I was picking up 3 bales of hay (cattle bait) this morning when I saw a young bull moose with antlers maybe 24 to 30 inches across. As he came across the field he was watching me but was unafraid. I’d been talking to a man who had only one lung and he did cough a lot and he was telling me how a bull came to his coughing, while he was elk hunting. I thought I’d try it, every time I coughed the bull would stop, lower his head and then lift it and shake it and move around me in the field. I should tell you I was

unafraid because I was on the inside of the enclosure at our hayshed with about 8 ft fence and I had the truck to get into also. I’d cough and he would stop and look at me and then Aimee would whine and bark and I think the moose thought he was going crazy. Finally I stood up where the moose could see me and he just turned around and walked away.
For some unknown reason somebody borrowed two 3/8th in by 3 in lag bolts out of a sign I just put up last week. They didn’t damage anything just took the bolts and sat the sign on the ground. Today I went up too the sign and drilled holes where the lag bolts had been and put in two 3/8th by 4 ½ inch carriage bolts then screwed up the threads so that you cant get them off very easy at all. Also I found a boundary sign that I had put up that was backwards. I had people leaving when they were actually entering. I find it hard to believe that I actually made a mistake.
I stopped at campsite 2 to see if any cattle were around and was talking to a hunter when Kim Ferguson from Deep Creek Ranch came up and said he was looking for a bull. I told him he was in the right spot and he sent the “boys” out to look for it, they were walking and they didn’t find it. He had no sooner disappeared down the road and another trailer w/ saddle horse and a father & son on an ATV came in and said they were looking for the bull. This man happened to be a Kelly Dance from Blackfoot from the D 7 Ranch. He unloaded his horse and moseyed on southerly bound looking for his bull. Soon there were cattle running over the hill and his bull was with them. Kelly came back and said he’d be back tomorrow with another horse & rider to get his bull. He said he didn’t know who owned the other critters out there and he left. BUT I KNOW WHO OWNS THE CATTLE!!!!
As soon as Kelly left I called Gaylen Stucki and told him the scoop. So we’ll see it Mr. Dance and Mr. Stucki will both show up at the same time tomorrow.
On the way home I checked Indianfork and found cattle where they shouldn’t be. Why should I worry, only this weekend and next we are out of here. I do know that these 6 months went by in a hurry but I’m ready to move on, you know what I mean? I imagine in a month I’ll anxiously be waiting next spring and the possibility of our return to Tex Creek.
Monday, October 21, 2002 Low 22.1 High 63.7
Well Stucki showed up but not Dance I guess that is being 50% successful or to be more pessimistic 50% wrong. He brought his dad 83 years of history in this local area. He told us how he delivered the mail via horseback back in the late 30’s. He also mentioned how there used to be a lot more snow and he told us of his wife of 51 years that died of cancer and how he is now remarried. He told us that between his wife & him they have 102 grandchildren and 60 some great grandchildren. How last year he broke his leg (femur) while out on the snowmobile and how Gaylen took a bungee strap and tied his leg down so he could drive the 10 miles back for help. I don’t want to say he was a tough old geezer; he is a tough old geezer! Of course there were no cattle to be seen anywhere so we all went home.
Today everybody showed up for work and we got to listen to Matt as he told us of how he went hunting Friday and shot a 5X6 elk and a 3 point deer (6 point eastern). He is not near the man I thought he was because he called his wife and she sent one of her brothers out to help him. Congratulations, Matt.
Trent missed his deer but I think he had a good time and Craig, he just sat back and smiled and asked me if I wanted elk chops or roast from his elk. I said we’d be happy with a couple of chops or steaks, as we don’t have a lot of room.
Also today we had to go to town and see about tires for the truck, it seems like we just bought a set and now we needed more. Sally & Sue went to town last Saturday and somehow they cut a rear tire on the way home. So I singled it out and went into town with just 3 tires on the back instead of 4. We have got good tires now; just don’t have any fuel money, ha ha.
Tuesday, October 22, 2002 Low 26.4 High 54.6 CLOUDY spitting moisture
This morning I finished the fuel tank on our truck so that we can hook up the auxiliary tank easier when we get home and get ready to hook up to the 5th wheel (home sweet home). Of course when I got that done it quit raining. I did fix some stone damage on the running board brackets so I should be pretty well set to go. I just greased and changed the oil about 500 miles ago, everything is looking good.
Jack DeGroat from Nashville, MI has invited me down to his farm to go deer hunting with him and others, including Superman (Dan Revoir) during deer season back in Michigan. I am anxiously awaiting the hunt so that I can outdo Mr. Dead-eye Revoir. I have super tuned my desert eagle (cleaned it) and now it is ready for a great time, with friends. Getting meat is secondary to me when hunting. I just want to have a good safe hunt. Why I’ve even been known to miss my deer, but still had fun.
Also it has been brought to my attention that it is time to start packing and getting ready for the trip home. We’ll be leaving here October 28th and start heading easterly bound.
Love to all, Darrell, Sally & Aimee (dawg)

No comments: